Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Best Thing I Ever Ate - Cookie Edition

Okay...so maybe I'm patting myself on the back a little here...but I'm telling you, these cookies are ridiculous. Let me back up and tell you the story before I share the recipe with you.

As I mentioned last Sunday, I went on a huge cooking spree last week. Many of you already know of my addiction to Pinterest. Well, I've been gathering recipes here and there from the blogs I read and pinning them to my Pinterest boards. I've also been finding some great ones through repins. As I was putting together my meal plan for February and March I made sure to put a bunch of these new recipes in the mix.

The trek to these fabulous cookies began with Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake.


My picture isn't as pretty as hers because I totally forgot about taking pictures until we'd eaten up half of it. I meant to take more of just single slices before we finished it, but that didn't happen. Let me tell you...delicious. We snarfed this up like it was going out of style. And just to make it that much better...I put butter on top of mine to melt. Holy crap it was good. Needless to say, it's a keeper.

Well...the next day I was working on making my very first homemade pasta. If you remember, I have just a tiny bit of pureed pumpkin stored in my freezer. I decided it was time to do something about it. So I busted out this recipe for Pumpkin Sage Ravioli from Bad Mama Genny. (By the way, she is hilarious and her recipes are awesome. You should check her out.)

I thawed out some pumpkin, made some dough in my handy dandy Kitchenmaid Mixer and then went to work rolling out pasta sheets through my pasta roller (FYI...I have owned this item for about seven years. This was the first time it's been used. Sad.)

There was a lot of cursing and some very ugly initial results, but ultimately I learned to make ravioli. I'm super proud of myself for that.


Well, part of the recipe for the raviolis calls for ricotta cheese. Great. No problem. I had already bought some. The issue? Half of the tub was left over. What was I to do? I had no other recipes in mind for it and I knew it would go bad if I didn't put it to use immediately.

So I made Siri find me a recipe using ricotta. I quickly decided that I didn't want to make another pasta dish (or any main dish, for that matter). I wanted something sweet. Now, you may be thinking ricotta? like the stinky gooey cheese? Yes. That stuff. It smells like sweat socks, but it tastes awesome cooked. Trust me.

And then it happened. I found the recipe that shall have it's name shouted from the heavens, the Italian Cookie. Plain name, yes. Plain taste, no. I'd share the link if I knew where to find it. Google Italian Cookie. Your head might explode. So I'm just going to share it with you...in a minute. I'm not done telling my story. If you want this recipe, you will read this. Trust me, you want this recipe.

As I mentioned earlier, I had made the blueberry breakfast cake. Minus the small handfuls (read: crazy armfulls) of blueberries that Collin and I had eaten while I was making it, I had a decent amount of blueberries left. I decided (because I can't just leave well enough alone) that I was going to punch the recipe up a notch. Blueberry frosting was born.

So this is what I ended up with...


Don't judge them by their looks. These babies are addicting.

If you want to enter your own state of bliss due to cookie ingestion, here's how you can do it :

Italian Cookies
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. ricotta cheese
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Blueberry Frosting
1/4 c. butter, softened (Don't judge me. I like butter. Call me Paula Deen Jr. No diabetes yet.)
2 c. confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. milk
1/4 c. blueberries

Ready to get to work? Let's do it. It's simple.

1. Heat your oven to 350F degrees.

2. Start with the batter. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and ricotta.

3. Separately, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the cheese mixture.

4. Place tbsp. sized balls onto a greased cookie sheet at least 2" apart. Bake for 10 minutes until the edges are golden. Cool on the cookie sheet for at least 20 minutes before icing.

5. While the cookies are cooking/cooling, make your icing. Place the blueberries, milk and vanilla in a blender or food processor and puree. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the blueberry mixture to the butter mixture and blend well.

6. Frost your cookies.

7. Try to stop eating them. Good luck with that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips