Sometimes classics are just looked upon as dreadful things. A lot of readers hear the word classic and think that the read will be boring and tedious. But...there is a reason that they are called "classics". And I need to push myself to read them more...to appreciate them more. So, this is part of the way I'm going about it.
A few of my lists push for reading classics, including my 1001 Books to Read Before You Die, the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge, and the Classics Spin. This is just one more way to get more of these books moved up on the TBR list.
Because believe it or not, Classics WON'T Kill You.
The goal is to read fifty classic novels in ten years. That's five classics a year. My classics spin challenge will get me four of those five, so I just need to squeeze in one more each year. Should be doable.
The challenge starts for me on June 1st, 2014 and ends on May 31st, 2024. It's a long one.
I'll be tracking my progress on this page in two ways...the always present progress meter and the 1-50 list. The list will have books added as they are finished, including titles, authors, and dates finished. If I do a review, they'll be hyperlinked to it.
And off we go!!
11 / 50 read
1. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (July 2014)
2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (September 2014)
3. Lord of the Flies by William Golding (May 2015)
4. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (July 2015)
5. Beowulf by Anonymous (September 2015)
6. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Anonymous (September 2015)
7. Othello by William Shakespeare (October 2015)
8. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (October 2015)
9. Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (October 2015)
10. The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole (December 2015)
11. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (April 2016)