Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Currently: September 5, 2017



A long, long time ago, I did a feature on the blog called "Currently". It was more or less a weekly update on what I was up to. It started out as "Summary Sunday" and then morphed into something slightly different to fit what I needed at the time. Unfortunately, it fell by the wayside (along with a pile of other things). However, while doing my Feedly reading the other day, I read Andi's post about Scribbling -- an idea she got from Amanda. It reminded me of my old Currently posts and I decided that would be a good way to put myself back into a weekly post. I've taken my old prompts and merged them with Amanda's to give myself a good list of summary categories. It should be a good way to help motivate me to get more things done and remind me where I'm slacking.

Ready...set...here we go...

Weather: 

It's pretty gloomy out there today. It's been rainy the last couple of days and it's cooling down a bit. Today the high will be around 63. 

I don't mind the cooler weather and I love that fall is getting closer (it's my favorite season), but at the same time I am very much missing the sun. I spent most of my summer in a cast thanks to an unfortunate accident involving an angry mama cow, so I missed out on a lot of the good weather.

I am also freaking out slightly because this shift in weather means that the Minnesota winter is not too far away and there are oh so many projects that need to be completed outside before the snow begins to fly.

Watching:


I've been watching more or less nothing but Octonauts lately. It's such a sad state of affairs. The little guy loves it when they start to sing and it keeps him occupied when he's in that state between wake and nap. We usually cuddle on the couch and watch an episode while I give him a bottle and get him settled down. The result is that the song at the end of the show (Creature Report for those familiar) is often stuck in my head for the rest of the afternoon.

Reading:


I'm getting out of my reading slump thanks to the reboot that Bout of Books gave me. I just finished the third book in the Paper Magician trilogy, The Master Magician. The trilogy was a good read, with the first two books scoring 4-star reviews and the final book receiving a 3.5. It's a YA series that moves quickly, but smartly. It was a nice pick to help remove me from my reading slump.

I've now just started A Secret Kept by Tatiana De Rosnay. It's a bit of a genre shift, so we'll see how I do with that. It's a more serious novel and I've been sticking to mostly light-hearted reads in the last few months. I'm hoping I can keep moving at a steady pace and not let that change bog me down.

Listening:

I haven't really been listening to much music and I didn't realize it until I began writing this post. (See...it's already working.) I'll have to revive my usage of Spotify and see what I can find to love out there. Right now, all I've been really hearing is the aforementioned Octonauts tunes and the music from B's various toys and mobiles.

Learning:

I'm still working on my English degree, but I have taken some time off from school for now. I wasn't able to find any good classes to apply to my major with online courses and I'm still hoping to stick with Boise State even though I am working from Minnesota. I'm holding out for spring semester. With any luck, they'll have something for me. If not, I may consider transferring myself to another program where I can complete my studies online. 

Making:

Canning season has arrived. It's mayhem around here. So far, I've frozen peas and multiple fruit and vegetable cubes of pureed baby food. I've also canned three kinds of pickled radishes, radish jelly, applesauce, three kinds of beans, two kinds of salsa, tomato paste, kale, and pickles. 

I still have oh so much to do. Next up is processing and freezing the kohlrabi and canning yet another salsa. I'll be following that with beets and turnips. After that, I'll be processing (in no particular order): Brussels sprouts, corn, carrots, rutabaga, cabbage, three types of onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, butternut squash, and acorn squash. 

Whew. I think that's it. I'm paying for that brilliant idea of a large garden. The good news is that we'll have lots put up for winter.

Thinking:

There's been a lot on my mind lately, to be honest. Life is certainly a far cry different than it was a couple of years ago. I went through a divorce, found someone who appreciates and loves me for who I am (not for what I can give them), retired due to a medical condition that forced me to do so, closed my practice, moved half way across the country, shifted to a new style of living, and had a baby. They talk about the major events in life that can cause stress and I've hit nearly every one. It's been a ride.

Feeling:

I am enjoying the changes for the most part, but there are days where I still feel lost. I think that's probably the case for just about anyone at most points in their life. I very much enjoy being a mother...it's something I was beginning to think would never be an option, but it brings with it a new set of anxieties. I worry about the best way to spend my time with him, what I should be teaching him, is he meeting milestones, is he still breathing in the middle of the night, etc. I've never loved and feared something so much in my life.

Wanting/Needing:

The removal of some chaos would be lovely. We're trying to sell off the summer piglets, but have now discovered that we'll be having a surprise litter here shortly. It appears that Pippa will be having piglets of her own in a few weeks. Once that's all buttoned up and the canning has been finished for the season, maybe it will feel a little more relaxed around here.

Hopefully, we'll also be able to get the storage shelving in the garage completed. That should allow us to weed through the boxes in the garage, get rid of some junk, and get things a bit more organized. In turn, some of the things stored in the basement will be able to be relocated and we can have a bit more breathing room around here.

When it comes down to it, I've found that what I need is simplicity.

Loving:

Honestly, for all of the change and chaos, I'm loving this life. I enjoy being in the middle of nowhere. I love that I'm able to stay home and spend the day with my son. I'm enjoying exploring the possibilities of homestead life and learning new ways to do things.

Planning:

We continue to take small steps on remodeling the house. The goal for September: flooring. We had replaced the basement carpet just before Brecken was born, but there have been some issues with it. So we are having it replaced yet again (under warranty) to a different brand. We'll also be ordering and scheduling installation of hardwood in the upstairs and purchasing tile for the two bathrooms and the entryway. With any luck, by the end of October, all of the floors will be well underway or maybe even completely installed. 

As far as the blog, I'll be starting a whole new blogging schedule. My plan is to complete a Currently post every Sunday. Tuesdays are for Top Ten Tuesdays, Wednesdays are for Top 5 Wednesday, and Saturdays are for Book Blogger Hop. Beyond that, I'll have random posts here and there. Since today is Tuesday, we'll start tomorrow with Top 5 Wednesday.

Now...let's see if I can shake off the dust and get back into the swing of things...
What about you? What does your "Currently" look like?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips