Tuesday, May 8, 2012

2012 BOTY : Let's Pretend This Never Happened (a Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson


Okay. I am literally giddy right now. It's ridiculous. Have I mentioned that I LOVE Jenny Lawson? Umm...because I do. It's a mostly healthy obsession. I promise. There isn't any stalking involved.

I bought this book as a preorder. Why, you ask? Well...because: (1) Why wouldn't you?, (2) Any book with a stuffed mouse on the cover should automatically go in the shopping card immediately, (3) I wanted not only the book, but...this...


Yup. That's right. Jenny's signature. And much like Elmyra I will hug it and squeeze it and love it forever (raise your hand if you get that reference).

Before I even read the book, I was already protective. It has become My Precious. When friends asked if they could borrow it after I read it, my response was "you must treat it like a newborn baby. No food, liquid or small children within a 10 foot radius." 

I'm not kidding people. There might be a shrine erected. 

In fact, in light of now considering the lending it out...I'm gonna go with...you come to the book. It's a win-win really. You get a break from your kids and hang out in my library reading my fabulous book and my book stays safely within the cocoon of my house. Yup. Seems like a good plan.

So now you're asking, ya...but what's it about? Is it even any good? Fine. I guess I'll do the review.

If you haven't been over to Jenny's blog, go. Do it. Now. Seriously, I'm not kidding. I'll wait. That's right. Awesome. This is the woman who brought you Copernicus the Homicidal Monkey and Beyonce the Giant Metal Chicken. She pretty much rules.

In the book, Jenny talks about being raised by a professional taxidermist father and a woman who I can only assume is a patron saint in a town the size of a postage stamp. Her stories are hysterical. I laughed out loud repeatedly. She is creative and witty and just plain fun. I've told Collin that we need to move to Texas. I might need her to be my best friend. (I still love you Patti, but...well...you know.) If you are easily offended by rough language, well...you're gonna have to get over it because you need to read this. Seriously. My arms are crossed and I'm staring you down.

I'm not sure what else to say that wouldn't either (a) ruin some of the fun that is this book or (b) just really put doubt on the whole "healthy obsession" comment. Basically...I loved this book. I am in love with this book. I could potentially read it again immediately and then again next week. Remember how I loved Betty White and Mindy Kaling? Okay...multiply that by about 1,000. That's how much I love her. Crap. I'm really not doing well at keeping this to a non-hysterical level. 

If you think this book gets anything less than five stars...well, then you clearly haven't been paying attention. It's 5 out of 5 stars people.

Now...to end this thing like a true Reading Rainbow book review...run, don't walk, to your local bookstore and buy this book. You won't have a cool signed bookplate like me, but you'll have the book. It's worth it. But you don't have to take my word for it. (Ba da ba.) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips