Monday, April 30, 2012

2012 BOTY: Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close


There are some books that I am super excited to get to read and then I just can't put them down once I start. This was not one of those books. This book was...how do I say this...blah...blah...blah. I was excited to read it. In fact, I'd been trying to get my hands on it for a while. But it turned out to be one of those books where I seriously question how in the world it got so popular. 

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close follows the lives of a group of friends as they go through years of watching their friends get married. Oh so many weddings....and oh so many girls. That's pretty much it. Seriously...I think I just summed up the entire book for you. You're welcome.

On Goodreads, this book is described as "wickedly hilarious". Someone seriously needs a shot of fun in their life if they found this wickedly hilarious. This was dry toast. I just had to check to see if the author was from England to make sure I wasn't missing some dry British humor. Nope. She's from Chicago. She might need some friends who are not shut-ins or Amish to help her discover what a good time really is.

I didn't give up on this book because - honestly - I kept thinking it would get better. I kept holding out for that moment when it would improve. It would start heading in the right direction and then...blah...all over again.

Here is an excerpt of my texts to Patti while reading this book. I think it will give you a pretty good idea. (Don't judge my grammar people, they're texts) :

"I'm just sitting on the couch reading possibly the most boring book ever."

"I've been excited to read it. But I'm on page 32 and so far it's a snore fest."

"I'm just trying to figure out why so many people are reading it when no one that I've heard from has even liked it."

"Every time this book starts to redeem itself it goes back to crap. Ugh. The boredom..."

At this point, Patti interjects with, "Why do you torture yourself?" My response: "I'm going to finish it. It's nowhere near as bad as the one I quit." You may recall the incident of Notes from a Small Island

"It reads fast...its one redeeming characteristic."

and finally... "Torture over. Next book..."

And there you have it. I rest my case. I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that I rated this one fairly low. Girls in White Dresses gets 2 out of 5 stars. (Yes...you were right, Erin...)

Now please tell me my post wasn't as boring as the book...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips