Thursday, September 12, 2019

50 Bookish Questions Tag (Part One)

It's time to break up the monotony that can develop from book review after book review. So...I've compiled myself a little stash of book tags that I can toss in for fun whenever I feel like I need something new around here. Because, why not!?

This particular book tag is 50 Bookish Questions. Because I have the feeling that it could potentially get long, I've broken it into two posts. I'm not sure of the origin of this tag, as I have seen it in several bookish locations (blogs and vlogs) on the internet. By the end of this, you'll know a bit more about my reading habits and the books I love as well as the books I love to hate.

Let's get started!!


1. What was the last book you read?


I failed to mention that the other reason I'm breaking this into two posts is because of the likelihood of questions with multiple answers. Because that's how I roll. In this case, I both read books and listen to audiobooks (a new adventure for me this year). Therefore, the last book I technically read was This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. However, the last book I finished was the audiobook of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.


2. Was it a good one?

Well...obviously, since question 1 had two answers, there will be two answers for the next few questions. Hang in there. It will all work out in the end.

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger was magnificent and I really enjoyed it. I wound up giving it 5 stars.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen wasn't my favorite book of hers, but it wasn't bad either. I rated it at 3.5 stars.


3. What made it good?

This Tender Land was a very emotional read. The characters are believable and dynamic and the writing is just honest. There was very obviously a lot of research that went into the writing and I could tell that the author really deeply cared about his writing of the story. I appreciated the historical aspects of the book and I truly became invested in the characters as I read. It was oh so good.

Sense and Sensibility is a characteristic Austen novel. Her characters are snappy and full of personality. There are cads and there are scandals. There is a lot of discussion of wealth and privilege and I rolled my eyes several times at the ridiculousness of the people in the upper crust, particularly Elinor and Marianne's horrid brother. It was entertaining and enjoyable. The audio was totally the way to go, especially given how stiff the language can be at some points.


4. Would you recommend it to other people?

I would recommend This Tender Land to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. This is NOT one of Krueger's typical thriller/suspense type novels, so be aware of that before jumping in. This is a historical fiction saga type read.

Sense and Sensibility will definitely not be for everyone. Read this one if you enjoy classics, particularly those of Victorian England. As mentioned earlier, the language can be a little thick and sloggy, but if you're attuned to that kind of writing, you will enjoy this one just fine.


5. How often do you read?

I read every day. I try to listen to audiobooks while I get ready for the day as well as while I do housework (this one is totally kid dependent) or on any long drives. As for physical books, I sometimes read during nap time for the boys and I typically read before I go to bed. I've been not so great at that lately since I seem to keep dozing off in the middle of my book. Apparently, the kids are wearing me out during the day.


6. Do you like to read?

Yes. Very much so. I'm not a huge fan of academic type reading, but I'm now past those years so I choose what I want to read and what I want to ignore. This ability makes me a voracious reader.


7. What was the last bad book you read?

The answer to this depends on what you determine to be a bad book, I suppose. I've had a small handful of 2-star reads this year, but I wouldn't necessarily call them bad. They just didn't quite do it for me. I did have one 1-star read that totally ticked me off and one DNF. We'll stick with those ones, I suppose.


I gave Things That Fall From the Sky by Selta Ahava 1 star and I made it a little over half way through Before Us Like a Land of Dreams by Karin Anderson before I bailed and put it in the DNF stack.


8. What made you dislike it?

Things That Fall From the Sky was a book that I pushed myself through. It had promise, but NOTHING. HAPPENED. I kept wanting it to go somewhere and it just didn't. The ending cemented this journey of nothingness and I just got seriously angry with it. This was one of those books I wanted to throw against the wall.

Before Us Like a Land of Dreams was almost a stream of consciousness type of writing and I couldn't focus. It felt like a lot of rambling. I couldn't get a handle on the characters, I didn't find myself caring about anything happening, and I just felt like I was wasting my time. So...I quit. I don't do that often (I think there are 3 books on my DNF shelf in Goodreads), so it says something about how frustrated I felt with this book.


9. Do you wish to be a writer?

I consider myself to be a kind of writer. I write on the blog and I occasionally write pieces of fiction for myself. In time I would like to be able to put something together that could maybe head towards some kind of publication, but right now that isn't something I feel overly motivated to pursue.


10. Has any book ever influenced you greatly?

I could say yes to this about MANY books that I've read over time. There are books that mark specific moments in my life and books that have given me insight on both myself and the world around me. As for books that I think about currently and books that make me maybe think a bit more critically about my life, I'd have to say that The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood has been at the forefront. This is partially because her sequel The Testaments was just released and I've been anticipating it for quite some time, but also because I think it applies well to the current political climate and the potential for things to change in a negative way if the citizenry does not remain vigilant.


11. Do you read fan-fiction?

Nope. This hasn't ever been my thing. Though I don't mind reading fiction about fan fiction (Rainbow Rowell in particular).


12. Do you write fan-fiction?

Nope. Not even sure where I would start on something like that. My mind doesn't quite work that way.


13. What is your favorite book?

I have way too many "favorites" to list here. Maybe I'll have to do a tag on that at a later date. For now, I'll leave three of my favorites from 2019 here.



14. What is your least favorite book?


NO. No, no, NO. I had to read this for a history course in undergrad and I could not get myself through it. This is the one and only time I actually used Cliff's Notes for an assignment. Thankfully, I think my professor took a little pity on me. He could tell I hadn't finished the book, but tried to B.S. my way through my term paper. He gave me a B...a small miracle. I occasionally think I should give this book another try, but NOPE.


15. Do you prefer physical books or reading on a device?

I like both. I think they both have their merit. I like being able to hold a book in my hand and I love having a pile of bookshelves...there's something comforting about that. But I enjoy the practicality of an e-reader and the fact that it allows me to take a bunch of books with me wherever I go while also allowing me to read in the dark.


16. When did you learn to read?

I was reading books to myself by age 4. I don't know at what point I was able to sight read individual words, but that was about when I was able to sit myself down and make it through a full book alone.


17. What is your favorite book you had to read in school?


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is one of my absolute favorite books of all time. I don't think I loved it as much on the first reading as I do now. I've read this at least five times and I could easily stand to pick it up again soon. Jane is a fantastic literary character and I love her.


18. What is your favorite book series?


If you haven't read these you're missing out. Seriously. Harry Potter is the most imaginative and wonderful series ever. It just makes me oh so happy. I need to sit down at some point and reread all of these as well.


19. Who is your favorite author?

Like my favorite books, identifying a favorite author is also super difficult. It honestly depends on genre and does change over time. For a small sampling of authors who have not been prior mentioned in this post, authors I really enjoy include:


 Cassandra Clare, E. Lockhart, Jodi Picoult


 Philippa Gregory, Stieg Larsson, John Green


20. What is your favorite genre?

My reading taste tends to change from year to year, so my enjoyment of a particular genre may be out of control one year and then more or less nonexistent the next. It comes and goes in waves. This year, I am really enjoying fantasy and I am reviving my crazy obsession with magical realism.


21. Who is your favorite character in a book series?

There are too many options here again. Gah. I enjoy quirky and independent females the most, I think. I've already mentioned Jane Eyre. I also love Hermione from Harry Potter. Two additional ladies in my list: Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and Ruby from the Ruby Oliver series by E. Lockhart.


22. Has a book ever transported you somewhere else?

Regularly. I could give you another list. But I won't.


23. Which book do you wish had a sequel?


The Library at Mount Char  by Scott Hawkins. I want this SOOOOO much.


24. Which book do you wish DIDN'T have a sequel?


How about I wish it just had a different sequel? The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth needed a wrap up, but this book just TICKED. ME. OFF. The ending was garbage.


25. How long does it take you to read a book?

This depends on the length of the book and whether it is a physical format or an audio. Based on my handy-dandy spreadsheet though, this year I am taking an average of 6 days to read a book. That includes both formats. When separated by format, I am taking an average of 5 days per physical book (print or e-book) and 9 days per audiobook. (And yes, I added an additional section in my spreadsheet just now to figure that out.)


Well...that's part one of the 50 Bookish Questions. Did you find any good books to add to your TBR? Do we share any similar reading tastes or opinions? I'll be posting the second half in the next couple of days, so keep your eyes peeled for more personal bookish knowledge!

Happy reading!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips