Saturday, July 6, 2019

July TBR & Bookish Plans

We're already almost a full week into what is going to be a very busy reading month. I've been spending a lot of time prepping for some big read-a-thons that are happening this month and next. I'm super excited about a few of them and hopefully I will do well. 

July is PACKED full of reading events. I'll be participating in FOUR separate read-a-thons this month that I've spent the last week getting read for and getting started. There is one month long read-a-thon, one 10-day read-a-thon, one 1-week read-a-thon, and one 48 hour read-a-thon. I'll be discussing them and their individual TBRs and challenges down below.

Not only is there a lot of reading happening, but I may be able to add a little more fun to my shelves this month. There are FOUR library book sales happening near me this month, including one incredibly large Friends of the Library sale up in Bemidji. I'm hoping to come across some good reads. 

This past week I received an order from Book Outlet that gave me some really great new additions. As I was shelving them, I realized that there are a handful of books on my bookshelves that I really don't really want there given the fact that I'm becoming limited on shelf space. So...I may be doing a book unhaul next month. We'll see what happens with book sales to decide how much I need to glean.


Reading Now


Speaking of gleaning... I just finished Scythe by Neal Shusterman last night. It was a fantastic read and I'm looking forward to grabbing the sequel, Thunderhead. It's a dystopian fiction that reminds me quite a bit of The Hunger Games. It was a great way to start off the month. I gave it 5 stars.

I'm nearly finished listening to The Rejected Writers' Book Club by Suzanne Kelman. It's the first in her Southlea Bay series and it's a bit out of my normal comfort zone. This one is kind of a cozy mystery type book. I'm surprisingly really enjoying it, but I will admit that I think I like this one much better in audiobook than I likely would reading it in print. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with it so far.


The Book Junkie Trials

The Book Junkie Trials is a month-long read-a-thon hosted by Rachel Marie at Book Junkie. This is a quest style read-a-thon. There are four teams and four separate maps to follow. I have sorted myself into the Outlaw group.

There are five locations for me to travel through with prompts I have to complete before I can move to the next location. Thus, these books have to be read in a certain order and they are not allowed to be changed once they have been decided.

However, each group also is given a special ability and a weakness based upon their professions. For the Outlaws, the ability is to replace a given prompt with a book on a friend's quest TBR. This book does not need to fit any prompt and is basically free choice. The weakness for the group is that a 24-hour read-a-thon must be completed within the duration of the challenge.

Challenge 1: Crimson Peaks - Reread a favorite book.

With this being a busy month packed with ARCs and read-a-thons, I don't have time for a reread. So...I stole a book from Sofii over at A Book A Thought. Thus, Scythe by Neal Shusterman (pictured above) was my book to pass the first challenge.

Challenge 2: Queendom Stone - Book featuring royalty
Challenge 3: The Forgotten Forests - The next in a series


Challenge 4: Tearjerker
Challenge 5: Group book


Biannual Bibliothon

In the middle of all the Book Junkie Trial madness, come three other read-a-thons. I've tried to base my TBRs on how I will have to pace myself through the books that meet the requirements for the Trials. We'll see how it goes, but hopefully I've allotted my time correctly.

The Biannual Bibliothon will actually be having their final run this month. This is typically highly focused on BookTube rather than blogging, but there are reading challenges in addition to video challenges. It runs for ten days, from July 11th - July 19th.


Challenges
(Double Up is encouraged)

Read a book based on the cover - Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber
Read an adult genre book - Chances Are... by Richard Russo
Read an author you've never read before - Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Read a graphic novel - (I don't read graphic novels, so this prompt will be skipped.)
Read a book you've been excited for - Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber
Read a predicted 5-star read - Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

As has been suggested by SEVERAL of the bloggers and vloggers I follow, I will be reading Daisy Jones & the Six as an audiobook. 


24 in 48 Readathon

The 24 in 48 Read-a-thon follows immediately after the finish of the Biannual Bibliothon. It begins on 12:01am EST Saturday the 21st and ends at 11:59pm EST on Sunday the 22nd. I will be using this read-a-thon as my 24-hour read-a-thon requirement for The Book Junkie Trials. (It also should help knock down my TBR a bit.)

There is no specific TBR for this read-a-thon, I will simply be continuing with the books I have in my TBR for the Trials and anything leftover from Biannual Bibliothon.


The Reading Rush

Running right after 24 in 48, is the final read-a-thon of the month. Phew! The Reading Rush (formerly Booktubeathon) will be going from Monday July 22nd until Sunday July 28th.



Challenges (Double Up is encouraged)

1. Book with purple on the cover - Gillespie County Fair by Marc Hess
2. Read the whole book in the same spot - The Art of Taxidermy by Sharon Kernot
3. Book you meant to read last year - The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan
4. An author's first book - 100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons
5. Nonhuman main character - The Plastic Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
7. Read a book & watch the movie adaptation - Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

This TBR is terribly ambitious at first glance. Realistically, I can probably finish 3 books in the week. However, I should be able to also complete an audiobook. So...while I may not reach the full seven, I should get at least half. We shall see.


Additional Reading


These are the "leftovers". These are books that I'm hoping to get to this month, but that didn't fit with any of the prompts I needed for my read-a-thon challenges. If by some crazy miracle I finish ALL of the books I listed above, these are on deck.

Are you ready for this? Here goes a crazy July!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips