Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Book Quotes

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event originated in 2010 by The Broke and the Bookish and operated as of January 2018 by That Artsy Reader Girl. It was born out of a love for lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bloggers together. Each week a new Top Ten topic is posted. After that, it's bloggers UNITE! Participate with your own Top Ten post, have fun, and get to know your fellow bloggers.
This Week's Topic:

Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes

Let's be honest...this could easily have grown to a list of fifteen...or twenty...or fifty. For me, as for many others, books are some of the best educators--the best sources of inspiration for the soul. But...I have whittled it down to ten of my favorites.



I love this one not because of what it means in a worldly sense, but because of what it means for the story. Jane Eyre is one of my absolutely favorite books...certainly my favorite classic. I've read it at least five times. The protagonist is strong and inspiring and I love...well, just about everything about this narrative. Just reading this sentence makes me do a little swoon.




Books are some of my favorite things. They mean so much to who I am and how I became who I am. I believe this quote wholeheartedly. And though they can leave you with so much heartache, the pink candy floss ones really are just the best.




This is the only quote on my list from a book I haven't read. I've read other Dillard works, but not The Living. Apparently I need to, because this is the epitome of explaining what books mean to me.




From here forward is where the quotes sometimes just make your soul ache. Picoult undeniably has a way with words, but this sentence ranks up there among her finest. It rings so terribly true and it's one of those lessons in life that is sometimes hard to learn.




I feel like this quote from Harper Lee could really help a lot of people be better in today's age, specifically today's political environment. People have their own beliefs. That's a given. But a lot of times those beliefs, those strong central passions, are the result of individual experience. It would do all of us a bit of good to remember that not everyone has lived life like we have. And because of that, others may have unique insights into the world that we should hear before we lash out or judge.




Alice in Wonderland is the only book--Lewis Carroll the only author--appearing on this list more than once. There are so many wonderful quotes in that book. Such a simple, silly story and yet it really is so much more than what it seems. This quote...well...it just makes me smile.




I love this one. We tend, as adults, to forget the simpler things...we tend to lose faith, to become skeptical and doubtful. It could do the world some good if we all just had a little more whimsical love for life...a little more ability to see the good and the potential around us.




This one is so applicable to me as an adult. As with the ones that follow it in this list, it teaches a lesson that took me far too long to learn. Embrace life. Don't be afraid. Just take it for what it is and take pleasure in the things around you. Come what may...




L'Engle was one of my favorite authors as a tween/early teenager. She's a brilliant author. I didn't grasp all of the lessons that her books presented to me during that period of time, but ones like this should be highlighted...shouted from the rooftops. This one is a big life lesson. 




A simple lesson so eloquently stated. I have chosen this as the inspirational quote for my bullet journal this year. And...it's another lesson that it took me oh so long to learn. It's okay to indulge yourself once in a while, but recognize when a dream is of the pipe variety. Having dreams is good, but don't just have them...pursue them. Live life to it's fullest. Participate in reality. 


Have you historically found inspiration in any of the quotes I have listed here? Would any of them have made your Top Ten? Have I egregiously overlooked any? What favorites of yours should I know about? 

2 comments:

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips