Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Witchy Reads


Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly book meme created by Lainey of GingerReadsLainey and hosted via Goodreads group by Samantha from Thoughts on Tomes. Each week brings a new twist on a literary topic and a whole host of book bloggers and booktubers take to the internet with their representations of what that means.

This Week's Topic:

Books Featuring Witches. There is a topic later this month about paranormal creatures, but 1. witches aren't creatures and 2. they deserve their own topic. These can be "witch books" or books that happen to feature witches as characters, whether they are main characters or side characters.


When trying to decide on my choices for this week's topic, I actually discovered that I have quite a few witch novels that I need to read. I wound up adding a couple to my TBR pile that had somehow inadvertently been missed. How does one forget The Witches of Eastwick

However, when it came to my picks for my top 5 witch featuring tomes, I just couldn't pare it all the way down. Therefore, I'm including a slam dunk bonus that shouldn't surprise many. Ready for my faves? 



All of Sarah Addison Allen's novels contain a bit of magic. Garden Spells is an enchanting tale of the Waverley women. Allen's writing is intriguing and comforting at the same time. She weaves a beautiful narrative and the result is a lovely, seamless read. I need to get my hands on the sequel, First Frost.



It's been decades (wow...that's dating myself) since I read this one. I remember reading this very early on. I'd say somewhere around fourth grade in all likelihood. I honestly don't remember too many of the details of this one, but I do remember really, really loving it. I'd say that The Witch of Blackbird Pond was one of my favorites in my pre-teen years. I believe I still have it in my personal library. Maybe it's time to dust it off and give it another whirl.



I read this two years ago and it still has my head spinning. The Library at Mount Char has the unique position of being a book that I very much enjoyed and can still recall fairly vividly, but honestly can't fully explain. It was just one of those "wow" reads. I've recommended it over and over again and I'll probably never stop hoping that Hawkins will write a follow-up.



Ah...another tween read. I actually just purchased the remainder of this series so that I have them all and I need to do a reread before the movie comes out next year. A Wrinkle in Time was my first foray into fantasy reads. I reread this one more than once in my younger years and I will definitely be reading it again.



I read quite a few Anne Rice books back in my early teenage years. She's an incredible author with an amazing imagination. She is known most prominently for her vampire books, but it is her Lives of the Mayfair Witches series that I enjoyed the most. The first book in that series, The Witching Hour was easily my favorite. I loved the setting, the characters, and the level of complexity in her tale.



I include this one is a bonus for a few reasons. First of all, I'm sure that the Harry Potter series will show up on the majority of lists for this topic. They're great reads. But as good as it is, I didn't want it to overshadow other options...so I created an extra slot. I also add it as a bonus because it's terribly hard to choose one book out of the series. They're all fantastic. Personally, my actual favorite is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. However, when it comes to witches, I think the culminating novel is the one that shows the greatest strength. So that's the one you're seeing here. 


What about you? What are your favorite witchy reads? Do we share similar reading tastes? How many of my picks made your list? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips