Saturday, October 21, 2017

Dewey's 10th Anniversary 24-Hour Read-a-Thon: Opening Post & Plan

The games have begun! Today is the Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon. It happens once a year, and it's magical. Oh...how I've missed you read-a-thon! And this year's read-a-thon is super extra special because it's the 10th anniversary of the event. How awesome is that? Book lovers, book bloggers, book tubers, and others have all gathered together for 10 solid years to read together. It's pretty amazing and cool when you sit and think about it.

The event goes for a solid 24-hours, with everyone in the world starting at the same time. In my time zone, the opening time was 7am (about 30 min ago). As of this moment, there are over 1500 participants. They are tallying their progress on blogs, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more.

As for me, my usual participation is slightly altered this year due to the addition of the new little reader in our house.


At 7 months, this will be B's 2nd read-a-thon. We'll be reading together intermittently during the day and I'll be reading solo when he's napping or happy playing on his own. Daddy will be at work during the day, so it will be a learn as we go experience. It won't be the full 24-hour drag, but it will be participation and I can network along the way.

Despite the obvious change in my reading situation, there are still goals to be had. And while I may not reach them all, it's always nice to have stars to shoot for.

Goals:

1. Read during every 4-hour period.
2. Read a total of ten hours (600 minutes).
3. Read at least 2 books.
4. Read at least 600 pages.
5. Read at least 8 books with Brecken.
6. Participate in at least 3 mini-challenges.


Reading List:

Some of this will totally be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants of what we like to call "general guidelines". I know what my first book will be, but beyond that...well...my mood might change. As far as my reads with Brecken, those will be more or less at random. But...here's what is "tentatively" planned for my personal reads:


The Plan:

I'll be reading as much as I can, but I'll be running solo with B, so I won't be able to swing a full 24-hour devotion. I'm making it work. As an accommodation for myself, I'll be continuing my personal read-a-thon into Sunday and devoting as much of that day to reading as I can as well.

For the official read-a-thon period, I'm keeping track of my reading using my handy dandy Excel spreadsheet and I'll be doing update posts every 6 hours. I'll be posting progress using my read-a-thon tracker.



At the end of the event, all Dewey's updates will also be posted on the Read-a-Thons page.


Warm Up Questions:

In order to get to know each other a little before we get in the full swing...I'm joining in the traditional zero hour meme...the warm up questions. If you know the blog, you've probably heard them before.

1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

Today, B and I will be reading from our home in northern Minnesota. We're in the middle of nowhere on a 60-acre farm. Some of the day will be spent in the basement (where the current master bedroom is...we're remodeling) and some will be spent upstairs in the living room. We'll see where we land.


2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

I just started Slade House the other night as part of the RIP XII challenge. I'm not far into it, but I'm already pretty heavily intrigued. We'll see how it goes.


3. Which snack are you most looking forward to?

Ha. I stocked up the pantry. It's a bit ridiculous. I didn't get to making the no bake energy bites, but there is plenty to keep me occupied. I'm honestly not sure which snack I'm looking forward to the most. At this particular moment, I think it might be the PopTarts.


4. Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm originally an Idaho girl, but I've been living in Minnesota for about a year and a half. I enjoy living in the middle of nowhere and I'm totally antisocial except for when it comes to blogging.


5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what is one thing you'll do different today

Whoops. Jumped the gun on that one! Well...no tent, an extra little reader, and a totally new way of attacking the beast, so to speak. There's quite a bit different this go-round.

And now...I'm ready to read!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips