Friday, April 8, 2016

G is for Girl


This week is totally flying by. I'm seriously ready for the weekend and maybe a little bit of sleep. I feel like I've been running on a treadmill nonstop. I'm mildly exhausted.


Today's choice is yet another series. This one is a deviation from my norm, but it's wicked awesome. It's the Millennium Series written by Stieg Larsson (and David Lagercrantz), a series where all of the book titles begin with "The Girl...".

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Synopsis in a Sentence: 

Psychological thriller series wherein financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist pairs up with unconventional genius Lisbeth Salander in a whirlwind of investigations that take some interesting (and gripping) turns.

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
 First Read:

I read the first three books in the series back in 2011, when The Girl Who Played with Fire won my Book of the Year Bracket. I was a little hesitant to read it at first since I had a lot of people telling me that they had heard bad things about it (oh...the danger of the telephone game). Immediately though, the story moved quickly and had an amazing plot that just reeled me right in. I will admit, there are some seriously graphic scenes that could turn some readers off, but for me these did not in any way sway me away from the book or detract from what is some incredibly wonderful writing. I read the entire original series (books 1-3) in a month's time right in the midst of a crazy Christmas season when I made all of my Christmas presents as homemade gifts. That should tell you exactly how much I loved these books. I made sure to squeeze in time to read them.


There were originally three stories in this series: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. These three books were written by Swedish author Stieg Larsson, a man with an incredible talent as a writer. Unfortunately, Mr. Larsson passed away in 2004, leaving behind the first three books of the series (which were published posthumously), as well as future plans for additional books in the series.

In 2015, the fourth book in the series was released based on Larsson's notes, but written by a different author, David Lagercrantz. I haven't yet read this novel, but I would like to. I'm mildly nervous about reading it since there are some seriously big shoes to fill, but one of these days I'm still going to bite the bullet.

Side note: There are a few movie versions of the series (including an American version of the first novel). I have yet to watch any of them, but they're on my list.

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz
Why it Makes the List:

This entire series (well...the first three books -- I can't speak to the fourth) was amazing. Stieg Larsson was an amazing writer, a magician with words. His writing is incredibly detailed to the point of feeling like a true crime novel and his characters are great. Lisbeth is one seriously kickass character. These books are seriously solid in their status as mysteries. I was kept guessing from start to finish. Each book in the series was better than the last and I just didn't want to put them down.


Are you an A to Z Blogger? Leave me a comment so I can repay the visit.
Not an A to Z Blogger, but love the idea? Go here to see what other fun can be found in the challenge.

Miss a prior 2016 A to Z post? Find your missing link down below...

A is for Alice
B is for Boyfriend
C is for City

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips