Sunday, November 1, 2015

Post-Pumpkin Picture-a-Palooza

Happy day after Halloween! Pumpkin pictures are coming... (This is a photo heavy post, so bear with me...)


Well...what a crazy week it was! I actually meant to post a few more times before Halloween actually got here, but it just wasn't in the cards. I was up to my elbows in pumpkins for far too many days.

There were a few mishaps, resulting in the loss of a few pumpkins (both carved and not). We had a mold outbreak that took a handful before I could get anywhere with them and required a small replacement batch. Ultimately, I got so burnt that I stopped carving before I was really done, leaving two planned pumpkins unfinished -- though I got the critical figures completed before I bailed on the carving knife.


We got everything assembled and ready to go by about 6...just in time for the first trick-or-treaters to start arriving. After that, the night was a batch of craziness, with trick-or-treaters stretching down the front sidewalk and all along the sidewalk at the front yard. It was insanity. So...my plans of uploading and editing photos last night fell by the wayside. But no worries...I'm back today with photos for everyone.

But...before we get to that... for those of you who are new, let's start with a short little back story...

I have a love for weird things. If you've read the blog, you know this to be true. I'm far from ordinary. I also have an intense love for Halloween. It is by far my favorite holiday. Better than Christmas, better than my birthday. If I had my way, it would last a full week instead of just one day. Because of this, I had an epiphany a few years ago that the Calvin and Hobbes snowman sketches would be a great idea to do with pumpkins. At our house, we go big or go home. And thus...a tradition was born. We've now had a total of four completed displays. This year will be our fifth. We do a different theme every year.


This year... Minions!


We couldn't just go with the new movie...we had to bring back a bit of the old fun too.


Of course there were minions...


The necessary bad guys...


Herb...


...and Scarlet Overkill.


We made sure to include the important three. Kevin (who was a challenge the entire time and a large risk thanks to his squishiness)...


Stuart (who was supposed to be holding a guitar that never materialized)...


...and adorable Bob.


I certainly could't leave out the Queen. I will admit though...it was a bit odd to be carving a real person.


And Norbert was just an adorable addition to the mini-minion army we assembled.

With all of the necessary characters amassed, we took the opportunity to engage in a little bit of throwback to the original... a little bit of Despicable Me.


The good / bad guy Gru...


His (slightly squishy) devil dog, Kyle...


The three girls: Edith...


Margo (my personal favorite)...


and the adorable Agnes.


As usual, we had a blast. I've been exhausted all day and there is still a lovely mess to clean up, but it was well worth it. And a BIG thanks once again to our amazing sponsors this year, Meridian's The Farmstead Corn Maze and Pumpkin Festival! They helped make all of this year's fun possible.

I've already started forming plans for next year's display. We've decided on a new tradition. Each year, we will be dressing up as characters from the next year's plan. So...those of you paying attention to the Instagram feed already know the theme for 2016. Don't spill the beans...

It always goes so quickly...my favorite time of year. Hard to believe that it's already November. I'll be spurring up a surprise later this month. Darian and I are working on a little something for Thanksgiving week. So stay tuned...we'll be announcing here in the next week or so.

Also...I had a question via email earlier this week, so I wanted to let all of you readers in the know that YES I will be hosting the Book of the Year Bracket Challenge again this/next year. So if you haven't been keeping track, time to figure out all the books you've read this year. Signups will open in December and we'll start taking on the brackets in January!

I hope you've all enjoyed sharing in our Halloween fun! We certainly love seeing the joy on the faces of others when they see our creations.

Happy belated Halloween!

1 comment:

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips