- About Me
- Bucket Lists
- Reading Challenges
- Contact Me
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
S is for Superheroes
Today is S day in the 2015 Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge and it's one of my favorite three projects of the challenge! At EPJ, S is for superhero!
If you didn't see the project for P day...these little guys are the companion pieces. Princesses for the nieces, superheros for the nephew.
When it came to my superheroes, I (thankfully) didn't have as many to paint. I had two sets of ten "man" peg dolls hanging about, so I made two sets of ten each. Again, each doll stands about 2 1/2" tall...about the size of Fisher-Price Little People.
By happy accident, when I decided which characters to make, I ended up with an equal distribution of DC and Marvel characters. Amazing. I'm just magical like that.
As with the princesses, these guys were hand-painted with acrylic paints and then clearcoated to keep them a little more durable.
I set them up in a similar assembly line fashion to minimize brush washing.
Each peg doll took just about an hour, some a little less than others.
I think I was able to get through two full seasons of Brothers & Sisters by the time I finished them all.
There were some lessons learned along the way...i.e. painting yellow over red doesn't work super great...
Eyeballs were especially challenging for these guys since I had to deal with masks. As a result, not everyone wound up with the typical black eye/white pupil design.
That was a total bummer since it added to the difficulty.
I'm pretty happy with how they all turned out. I'll be making these guys again.
However, I will be investing in a new set of paintbrushes before I do since some of my fine brushes have been mangled in the process.
What do you think? Could you recognize them all? Do you have a favorite? I'm particular to Superman's hair, but I like the way the detail turned out on Spiderman.
If you liked these, don't forget to go check out the princesses from last week! I think they turned out even better.
Now you've seen 2 of my 3 favorite projects for this year's A to Z. The last one is letter V, coming up Saturday. I promise...this one isn't peg dolls.
Miss any of my A to Z posts so far this year? Find them below...
1. A is for Anna (Easy Anna Cape)
2. B is for Bath (Appliqued Bath Mat)
3. C is for Child (Children's Growth Ruler)
4. D is for Denim (Denim Bib)
5. E is for Etch (Etched Casserole Dishes)
6. F is for Felt (Felt Hopscotch Mat)
7. G is for Good Night ("Good Night" Envelope Pillows)
8. H is for Hood (Easy Hooded Towel)
9. I is for Insulated (Insulated Beverage Cozies)
10. J is for Jumper (Embroidered Spring Jumper)
11. K is for Know (Know When to Hold 'Em/Fold 'Em Laundry Sign)
12. L is for Loveseat (Envelope Loveseat Pillows)
13. M is for Mittens (Fleece Baby Mittens)
14. N is for Ninja Turtle (Felt Ninja Turtle)
15. O is for Owl (Owl Stuffies)
16. P is for Princess (Princess Peg Dolls)
17. Q is for Quilt (Moustache Quilt)
18. R is for Reading (Appliqued Reading Pillow)
Are you visiting from A to Z?
Be sure to leave me a comment (including your blog link) so I can come over and return the favor!