Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quilt


It's the start of week 4 of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge! Wow. We're just plodding right along, aren't we?

I spent the weekend getting caught up on some blog reading. I've visited a pretty good number of A to Z participants, but there are still a lot out there for me to go see. There are so many good blogs this year! 

I'm having a good time seeing what everyone has come up with and I'm enjoying finding some new blogs to permanently read and some new bloggers who are becoming friends. This is just such a fun event!


Today is letter Q. Of course, being a crafter, Q has to be quilt. What else would it be? 

Today I'm featuring a quilt I made for my brother for Christmas.

I moustache you a question...do you like moustaches?

I do. I'm a little obsessed...especially when it comes to my youngest brother. I can't tell you why, it's just a thing. A couple of years ago I made him moustache pajama pants. There's also some additional moustache themed gifts coming up for letter T on Thursday.

This one was a pretty simple quilt. Really, if you want to get technical it, was more of a blanket. I won't tell if you don't.

I was inspired by some fabric moustache napkins that I found on one of my wanderings through Hobby Lobby. (That place will get you if you're not careful. There are too many fun things and stuff is always on sale.) Of course I snapped up a handful of them. At $1 each, I totally couldn't pass up that deal.


I trimmed my napkins and then alternated them with rectangles of gray cotton to create the front of my quilt. I completely failed to take any pictures of the back of the quilt, but it's just a black and white chevron pattern. You can see it in the trim of the quilt on the final photo.

I stitched my rectangles together by row and then stitched the rows together. Easy peasy.


The gray blocks needed a little fancying up, so I decided to add some moustache appliques. 

I cut out some moustache shapes in cardstock using my pazzle. I used those as a pattern to cut out each moustache in fabric that was backed with fusible interfacing.

I ironed each moustache on to it's respective square and then used a zigzag stitch around the edges to secure them.

After that, I lined up the front and back layers of the quilt and stitched them together, using the overage from my backing to create a binding. (I may have put a layer of light batting in between the two layers, but to be honest I totally don't remember. I'm pretty sure I did, but don't quote me on that.)

I did a zigzag top stitch to keep the binding flat and then put a few securing stitches in at the junctions of the gray rectangles and moustache rectangles to keep the top and bottom layers from shifting and bunching.


That's it! all done. Nice, lightweight lap quilt perfect for lounging on the couch.

Miss any of my A to Z posts so far this year? Find them below...

1. A is for Anna (Easy Anna Cape)
2. B is for Bath (Appliqued Bath Mat)
3. C is for Child (Children's Growth Ruler)
4. D is for Denim (Denim Bib)
5. E is for Etch (Etched Casserole Dishes)
6. F is for Felt (Felt Hopscotch Mat)
7. G is for Good Night ("Good Night" Envelope Pillows)
8. H is for Hood (Easy Hooded Towel)
9. I is for Insulated (Insulated Beverage Cozies)
10. J is for Jumper (Embroidered Spring Jumper)
11. K is for Know (Know When to Hold 'Em/Fold 'Em Laundry Sign)
12. L is for Loveseat (Envelope Loveseat Pillows)
13. M is for Mittens (Fleece Baby Mittens)
14. N is for Ninja Turtle (Felt Ninja Turtle)
15. O is for Owl (Owl Stuffies)
16. P is for Princess (Princess Peg Dolls)

Are you visiting from A to Z?

Be sure to leave me a comment (including your blog link) so I can come over and return the favor!

I have some work to get done this week...Friday's U project has yet to be completed. I will say though, I'm terribly excited to put up Wednesday's letter S post. It's one of my top three favorites this year!

12 comments:

  1. Moustaches are cool! I prefer them paired with bears :) I mousta(che)y it's a lovely quilt.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...paired with bears...well now I have a new project idea! ;)

      Delete
  2. Now you've got me wondering what S could be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a small, 25-block quilt as part of one of the sewing classes I took at the NYS Museum when I was in fourth grade. More recently, I made a baby-sized quilt (with a log cabin pattern) for my dearest, oldest friend's baby. After I had the outsides finished, I sewed some cut-out shapes (like moons and stars) to a white block in the center. I saved the cut-out letters spelling out the baby's name for last, just in case the sonogram was wrong or they changed their minds about the name at the last minute. It took four months, since I was sewing by hand. One of these days, I might figure out how to use a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Ambitious. I don't to much sewing by hand. The machine makes stuff so much faster! Although it also exponentially increases the amount of times I injure myself...

      Delete
  4. Elle,

    Cute idea. I've never seen mustache napkins, but we don't have a Hobby Lobby where I live (thank goodness for that) :-) I know I'd spend too much money in one.

    I've made several quilts over the years and also some lap quilts. I also make kitty quilts. I have a lot of those scattered around my house. The cats like them and it keeps a little hair off the furniture. They're fun to make and washable.

    I also like to find stuff I can use to create things. I think you and I think a lot alike in that area.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobby Lobby is a dangerous place. I always find something I was NOT looking for. I never thought to make a kitty quilt. That's a smart idea! My cats do have their favorite spots... That could save me some clean up!

      Delete
  5. I figured you would be writing about quilts today. This looks awesome for a guy (Its not as easy to make a blanket or quilt for a guy as it is for a girl) and I'm sure he loved it.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nothing if not predictable in the Q department. :) Guys are definitely more difficult. As for this one, I think pairing it with his moustache pants worked out well. Now he has some cozy items for Saturday morning cartoons with his kids.

      Delete
  6. I had a feeling you were going to do quilts today. I did, too, but I focused on quilts in novels and movies. Now you've got me curious about S!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I almost left you a message on your letter P post. I had a feeling we would both do quilt. I'm totally curious about yours! I'm heading over there ASAP!

      Delete

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips