So...even though I'm two weeks later than I planned, it's finally time to work on announcing my pick for my 2012 Book of the Year. Since it tends to become a lengthy situation, I am breaking the BOTY bracket announcement into three separate posts. Today is Sweet Sixteen, followed by the semifinals, and then the finals. It should be fun. All of the books are wonderful.
Last year's goal was a total of 64 books. I didn't make it. Such a sad day. I ended up with 56 books completed. Still 6 above the 2011 count, so I'm happy about that. (This year's goal is again the 64. I'm doing pretty well so far, having completed 14 books already.) Because I didn't have the full 64, lining up the bracket was difficult. What I ended up doing is taking the books that rated 5 stars and putting them in the final 16. I filled up the remainder of the 16 slots with the best of the 4 star books. So here is where we end up :
1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
2. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
4. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
5. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
6. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
8. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
10. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
12. Ape House by Sara Gruen
13. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
15. The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean
16. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
As with last year, we have a couple of authors with multiple entries. Cassandra Clare shows up in both sides of the bracket with two of the books from her Mortal Instruments series. They are fabulous books. Sarah Addison Allen enters her first BOTY bracket with THREE entries. I just discovered her last year and I absolutely adored everything I read of hers so far.
Any of these books would be a fabulous read, but we'll see which one came out on top (yes...I already know the winner). Take your bets. The semifinals show up tomorrow.