Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Haberdashery

Let me start by saying how much I just love the word haberdashery. Isn't it just fantastic?! I think it sounds fancy and vintage all at the same time. Wonderful. So what is it exactly? Well...haberdashery is just a fancy name for sewing supplies. That's right...buttons, ribbon, zippers, thread and the like. What's good for one craft is good for scrapbooking as far as I can tell. Just like my love for ephemera, I'm all about finding supplies from other crafts and hobbies that I can integrate into my pages.  


The love started with buttons. I'm not sure exactly when I first used buttons as a scrapbook element, but I know that it was rather early in the process.  I started scrapbooking in 2001 when I lived in San Rafael. I purchased my first scrapbook buttons at Ben Franklin Crafts in Novato. Is it weird that I remember that?

What started as a package of about 25 assorted colors has now EXPLODED to jars upon jars of buttons in all shapes, color and sizes. I have way too many.  And I keep accumulating more. Every time I buy a shirt with spare buttons or a clothing item is discarded/repurposed, they are quickly removed to the scrap room.  Score for free supplies! :)

Not the best illustration, but see the white wall cabinet? Ya...the colors through the glass are from my lovely button jars.

Buttons are pretty simple to use. Pop dot and stick. Ta da. Embellishment done. I love them.

My next foray into haberdashery (I SO love that word) was ribbon. Again, an addiction was born. When I go for it, I go all the way. I have rolls and rolls of ribbon. The best part? You can pick up a roll of ribbon for less than a dollar. Some craft and scrap stores sell bags of assorted ribbon remnants for a dollar a pack. Perfect.

I initially had issues storing my ribbon. I had some small bobbins that fit into plastic tackle boxes and those were fantastic. But then I expanded into the larger bobbins from fabric stores and the medium sized bobbins from companies like American Crafts. These posed a larger problem. After a few failed attempts at organization that resulted in more than one case of bobbin-less ribbon, I eventually solved the riddle.

4 of my 8 ribbon hangers

Hanging in my closet were a few unused multilevel hangers from when I lived in my studio apartment and closet space was at a premium (is it a surprise that I also love The Container Store?). I buzzed holes through the center of those bobbins that didn't have them and started stringing them on. My only downfall? I love the color arrangement that I originally set up, but running out of a particular ribbon or purchasing new ribbon really throws a kink in the works. It looks pretty though. :)

I also enjoy using stitching...both rub-on stitches and using the thread from my own sewing machine.  I really don't think you can go wrong with stitching.  As a plus, the rub-ons make it a snap for those who have less than stellar sewing skills or who don't own a sewing machine.

I do own some zippers. I'll admit it...I'm afraid of them. I bought them a few years ago thinking they would look awesome. I stand by that. But I haven't found a good way to attach them to a page without making a huge mess. There are examples out there of some wonderful scrapbookers who have mastered the darned things, but I haven't gotten there yet. One of these days...

What it all boils down to is that I don't think scrapbookers should be afraid to use ANYTHING as a scrapbook supply. If it's crafty...go for it. In my world it adds something extra and gives your page a little personal flare. When I'm looking for something a little fun, I just stroll the aisles in JoAnn Fabrics or HobbyLobby. I've found some of my best supplies in sections not meant for scrappers. Be bold, be brave, be a haberdasher! Come on, you know you want to...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips