Monday, May 13, 2019

Not So Long Ago, Not So Far Away by Trisha Slay



** Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in return for a fair review. **


I picked up Not So Long Ago, Not So Far Away by Trisha Slay because of the cover. Let's not lie. Yes...I was somewhat intrigued by the synopsis, but that cover is a stunner. Had it not been so freaking beautiful, I likely would have let the Star Wars component scare me off. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN! Yes...there is an importance to the narrative that develops because of the movie, but it is not all about Star Wars. Regardless of your feelings about Star Wars or sci-fi in general, this is a fabulous surprise of a read.

Seriously. This book is magic. I was not expecting to love this as much as I did. The synopsis intrigued me enough to pick it up, but I was honestly just expecting an okay read...not a stellar one. Well...I was wrong. This book slapped me square in the face. It caught my attention and held it. Despite the fact that I am not a huge Star Wars fan (sci-fi isn't largely in my wheelhouse), this plot was stupendous. Slay's writing is perfection. She drew me in with her development of an amazing character in Erika and then hooked me so well that I stayed up late into the night in order to finish. I couldn't put it down!

The story was just so great. There were several places where the narrative could have turned in a myraid of directions, but Slay always seemed to pick just the right way to go. My mind was swirling throughout the entire reading. I was generating possibilities and guessing at how things were going to work out. I was on the edge of my seat and excited to know what was going to happen. And nearly every time something important took place, I was surprised. And then I seriously had to applaud Slay's creativity. Whenever she created a major premise, it was fantastic. It was always the right way to go and it didn't feel wildly predictable. It definitely was not a mundane read. I was obsessed with the plot and I was completely wrapped up in the world. I was very much surprised by this response to the book, but it was incredibly enjoyable.

Erika is a fabulous protagonist. I love her. She is humble and insecure, but she is so powerful when she really embraces herself. I love her as an example for young women. She reminds me something of a cross between E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver and Ann Brashares's Carmen Lowell (both strong and well-created characters). Did I mention that I love her? Erika is so well-written that she seems absolutely real. She isn't princess perfect, she isn't a complete trope, she is just...right. I fell hard for her. I would absolutely love to see more of this character in future reads should the author pursue continuation of this story as a series.

The supporting characters are just as well imagined. It is a wonderful ensemble. They are all very complex characters with distinct personalities, ideas, and motivations. The interactions between them felt real and not in the least contrived. There were flaws to the characters and imperfections in the way situations played out, making everything feel so much more believable. This propelled the narrative in such a natural way. Slay just seems to have a knack for storytelling.

I am so glad that I was surprised by this read. This book is going to find it's way to a permanent residence on my bookshelf and I will be reading it again (in addition to hoping for a series continuation...which the author has admitted that she is considering). Not So Long Ago, Not So Far Away by Trisha Slay is a huggable book. In my literary world, that means a 5-star read. I am still swooning over it. Ah...book love.

If you read YA, you need to read this book. It is perfection. I just can't gush enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips