Thursday, January 24, 2019

2018 Reading Summary and Reading Challenge Update


With a new year comes the need to update ALL. THE. PAGES. It takes forever, but I've almost got them all done...YAY!! And (of course) as I went through the 2018 challenges, I found myself some new 2019 challenges. So I'm not only sharing all of my reading progress from 2018, I'm also letting you know what challenges I'm taking on in 2019.

Oh...and also...I will be updating these better as I go this year because it is crazy to try and get caught up after months of backlog. 

As I went through everything, I also came across an email from Goodreads that summarized my 2018 reading in a cool little infographic. It super made me happy.


TOTALS
I read 12,567 pages across 36 booksImg bookstack 40


Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
Img ruler 
SHORTEST BOOK
109 pages
Waiting for Godot
by 
LONGEST BOOK
637 pages
The Blind Assassin
by 
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
 

AVERAGE LENGTH
349 pages


MOST POPULAR
853,220
people also read
Paper Towns
by 
Paper Towns by John Green
The Truth About Us by Dalene Flannigan
Img temp desktop 2x
LEAST POPULAR
655
people also read
The Truth About Us
by 

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2018
3.6

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS
The Hate U Give
by 

4.56 average
Img badge


In my reading challenges, I have both annual and continuing challenges. I like both kinds, but the annual ones are pretty fun since I can compare year to year and see if my reading has gotten more or less prolific. 


Read 1,000,000 Pages

Total pages read: 195,513
Pages read in 2018: 10,689 (more than any year since 2014)
Percent complete: 19.55%
Deadline: None

This is a continual reading challenge that...let's be honest...I am not so certain I will ever beat. However, if you add in all the pages from the children's books I read to the boys, I would probably be a heck of a lot closer.



Added to challenge: 3
Percent complete: 4.6%
Deadline: None

I haven't specifically worked toward increasing the completion percentage on this one. Last year, I started putting specific goal books into my "currently reading" shelf on Goodreads. This makes it SOOOOO much easier to keep up with all the different challenges. It makes me look like a crazy pants reader, but hey...it's helpful so I'm doing it. As a result, this one may look a bit better at the end of 2019.


Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge

Number of qualifiers: 17/26
Percent complete: 65.38%
Deadline: Dec. 31, 2018

I am repeating all of last year's challenges this year. I haven't done any that I've found to be annoying or completely impossible. For the most part, I saw improvement this year over prior years. Yay!!



Century of Books

Added to challenge: 10 books
Percent complete: 27%
Deadline: Dec. 31, 2024

This one is a 10-year challenge. It's a bit of a tricky one since I don't plan it ahead of time. I may have to start doing that though if I really want to make it. I need 73 more books in the next 5 years, so it might be impossible otherwise.



Chunksters Challenge

Added to challenge: 5
Percent complete: 28%
Deadline: May 31, 2024

I feel like this challenge (also a 10-year challenge) is getting a bit easier as I go on. Because for some reason, the authors I read seem to be enjoying writing longer and longer books. Just based on the ones at the top of my TBR pile currently, I'm on track to smash this one this year compared to my progress in 2018.



Classics Spin

Added to challenge: 5
Percent complete: 25%
Deadline: December 31, 2022

This one is a 3-year challenge that I have totally failed on before. I have to plan ahead on this one and right now The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is on deck. I'm actually pretty excited to read this one, so I'm glad it's what came up on the randomizer.


Classics Won't Kill You

Added to challenge: 6
Percent complete: 34%
Deadline: May 31, 2024

Another 10-year challenge. It tends to go well with the Classics Spin, so I often get a two-fer anytime I read a classic. It's nice. I'll take all the help I can get.




Number of qualifiers: 3/9
Percent complete: 33.33%
Deadline: December 31, 2018

Let's be honest...I SUCK at this one. I've never completed this annual challenge. I'm pretty sure it won't ever happen if I don't start planning ahead. As of right now, out of the TEN books on my "currently reading" shelf, only one actually qualifies. Drat.




Added to challenge: 10
Percent complete: 19.23%
Deadline: None.

I love this challenge simply for the fact that it gets me to diversify what I'm reading. It's my own little adaptation of the challenge and it makes me happy.


Added to challenge: 0. Three in progress.
Percent complete: 29%
Deadline: None

This challenge was brand new in 2018 as a result of the PBS show of the same name. It will likely tie hand in hand with my Classics challenges unless I specifically start working on books in the list. We shall see. I haven't decided how I want to approach it yet. Also...I'm still somewhat pissed that I didn't get to watch the finale and the PBS app on my Apple TV won't let me watch it unless I pay. Grr...



Added to challenge: 19.
Percent complete: 84.76%
Deadline: None

This one was quite honestly just a random challenge I added because it seemed accessible. It doesn't seem to be active anymore (originally found on Goodreads), but I'm continuing on with it on my own anyways.



Number of qualifiers: 10/12
Percent complete: 83.33%
Deadline: Dec. 31, 2018

This one changes annually and seems to become more and more reasonable. (YAY!) It's probably the challenge I'm most likely to complete each year. 83% wasn't too darned bad considering I didn't specifically try to finish it. That may change this year. I really need a win in 2019...will make me feel, you know...accomplished.




Added to challenge: 10
Percent complete: 40.54%
Deadline: Mar. 31, 2019

I suck at this one, but it's still so fun. I have a couple of months to complete it, but I will be restarting it again when this round is done. No question.




Number of qualifiers: 21/50
Percent complete: 42%
Deadline: Dec. 31, 2018

This is another annual one that gets changed every year. There are technically 40 items in the challenge and then another 10 items in the "advanced" category.




Number of qualifiers: 36/52
Percent complete: 69.23%
Deadline Dec. 31, 2018

Pretty sure this is one of the very first challenges I took on. I should be able to make this goal if I get my crap together and keep a regular reading schedule. My goal for the year is 64 books, so 52 shouldn't be hard. (She has said every year since the beginning of time...)




Added to challenge : 3
Percent complete: 42%
Deadline: May 31, 2024

Another 10-year challenge where I need to plan ahead if I want to make it. I've knocked most of the more common countries off the list already, so I need to diversify. Not necessarily a bad thing. 




Added to challenge: 4.
Percent complete: 17.11%  
Deadline: None

Who doesn't love Gilmore Girls? Seriously. I need to know. Because you should. It's fantastic. I'm slowly plodding along on this lifelong challenge, but I find that Rory frequently puts me to shame with the variety of reads in this list.




Added to challenge: 11
Percent complete: 34%
Deadline: May 31, 2020

This one is fun just because I like coloring the map. I like seeing the little progress bars I do turn more blue, but the map adds a whole new level of good times. It's also a clear indication that I need to do some planning if I'm going to get them all.


NEW IN 2019!!

I added a few new challenges this year. Why? Because I'm freaking insane, that's why. And hey...they're fun. Check them out and see if any of them sound fun to you.

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge - Author Edition

Monthly Key Word Challenge

Monthly Motif Reading Challenge


And now I've finally finished this ridiculously long post. If you hung out through it all, then we're totally meant to be friends because you obviously love crazy challenges as much as I do.

If you know of a challenge that will likely be a good fit for me, but you don't see it on this list, please let me know. I'm totally down to add more.

Happy reading, everyone!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips