Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Library Books Read-a-Thon


Remember how I mentioned yesterday that Darian and I are a little crazy so we'll be participating in a read-a-thon next week? Ya...well...turns out I'm doing one this week too...

I'll get to the fun of it in just a minute...

First...let's do a little bit of blog housekeeping. I had a small disaster today. It turns out that the site I was using to host the linky for the 2014 BOTY Bracket Challenge decided to dump the linky without notifying me. Further, in order to keep using it, I was suddenly going to have to pay. Nope. Not cool. So...I went on the hunt and found another site to use. For those ever needing a long-term link site...Mister Linky is thus far the way to go. 


It was a bit of a whirlwind to get it back up and running, but I think crisis has been averted. If you have already signed up for the challenge, please pop over to the sign up page and make sure that I've put you back in the linky. I wasn't able to get my records from the original site, so I had to go based off of comments alone. I may have missed one or two. If you haven't signed up for the challenge...please do! I'm excited to see how many people we can get participating in this fun event. If you are in need of a bracket, don't worry...I have a few for you.

Okay...now back to the matter at hand.


This week, I'll be participating in Rachael's Library Books Read-a-Thon from over at Rachael Turns Pages. Rachael's going to be joining in the BOTY challenge, so I've been following her blog and just read her post about it the other day. I'm all about jumping on the bandwagon for some reading.

Here's how it works:

1. Rachael's read-a-thon runs from midnight on June 9th (today) until midnight on June 16th. Obviously I'm getting a titch of a late start. No worries. Still plenty of time.

2. The goal is to read as many library books as possible. That's it. Books of your choosing. (Though Rachael says she's not picky...you can read what you like - including books from home - if you want to join.)

3. Rachael will be posting about library services during the week. She'll be featuring those offered by her library, but it might give you some ideas for what to look for in yours.

Pretty easy, right?

Alright. So here's my story. I had to hit the library tonight. It was closed yesterday. Sundays can be a bummer. So...I got my books tonight. Then Collin & I decided to take the time we had and watch Star Trek Into Darkness tonight. We just finished. I've effectively burnt most of my reading time today. Oh well. I'm going to get started anyway.

Darian is at his mom's house for the week, but I talked to him earlier today and he may be participating as well. He was going to ask her to go to the library tonight. I'll be checking in with him during the week to get his stats. He'll be fully involved in next week's Library Challenge Read-a-Thon though. It starts on the 16th (picking it up right where this one ends) and is hosted by The Book Monsters.

As for me, I have a little reading to do before I can dive into that fun stack of books up at the top of the post. I am in the middle of reading Before I Go by Colleen Oakley - which is really quite good. With the speed I've been devouring it, I don't expect it will take me much time. After that, I need to read my Deal Me In book of the week, which happens to be This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales. That was the book that prompted the initial trip to the library. I eventually wound up getting an e-book of it instead, but all is well.

Once those two books are completed, I'll be attacking this batch o' loveliness.


I have it stacked in a random order right now, but it may or may not be the order I read in. Here's what I'm working with:


Finding these books was a bit of a challenge, but fun. My library is relatively small, with a hit or miss selection, so I more or less picked books randomly from my TBR list based on if I could find them. Things got a little nutty. The first book on the list wasn't even on my TBR list (neither was the 7th), but I have an obsession with all things Alice, so I had to grab it.

Like I have for the last couple of read-a-thons, I'll be using my spreadsheet to keep track of reading. I'll also be doing a daily update on my progress. It may be a full post, it may be a blurb in another post (not as likely). I have three book reviews scheduled for this week, so it's all up in the air. I'm not really sure what this week will hold. I'm flying by the seat of my pants. Ready? It could be an interesting trip.

Oh...and there will be another post shortly following this one... I still have a book review to get published before I move on to reading. It's been a crazy day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm soooooo sorry they dumped your link. That sucks!! :( The new one looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does suck that they dumped your link, but my name is still on there. I have been working on filling out my bracket, but only with four and five star books which I have read quite a few of lately. Sundays are so hard for libraries especially small libraries. I'm glad Darian is participating also. I hope you get some more reading done today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Hopefully the loss of the link didn't cause anyone too much trouble. Sometimes blog upkeep takes more time than posting.

    ReplyDelete

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips