Friday, January 17, 2020

2019 Reading Wrap Up: All the Stats & Pretty Graphs



For those of you who have been around for a while, or who know me in person, it should come as ZERO surprise that I love statistics and charts. Side note: for those who are Harry Potter fans...yes...I am (appropriately) a Ravenclaw.

In 2019, I went all in on the statistics nerdery and built myself a spreadsheet after scouring the bookternet and picking up pieces of ideas from several similarly nerdy readers. Spreadsheet lovers, UNITE! Today's post is a culmination is all of that tracking and graphing fun. So...let's take a look at my reading year in numbers and graphs.

3, 2, 1...GO!

Books by the Quantity


Total Books Read: 116
ARCs (Advanced Reading Copies): 50
Books in Translation: 7
Rereads: 4

I more than DOUBLED my prior highest tracked reading year. That's insane. I attribute a good portion of this to the addition of audiobooks into my repertoire.


Best reading month: October (14 books)
Slowest reading month: February (4 books)


Series Reads


Series Reads: 32
Standalones: 79
Uncertain: 5 (These books may end up with sequels in the future. The authors have been noncommittal.)


Started the series: 22 (Why do I do this to myself?)
Series finished this year: 1

Apparently I really need to focus on finishing series. I already have the knack for starting them...


Authors Read

Total Authors Read: 105
Most Read Author: Rick Riordan (3 books). 10 authors had 2 books represented in my 2019 reads.


New to Me Authors: 83



Pages Read / Minutes Listened


Total Pages Read: 37,008


Most Read: August (4,078)
Least Read: February (1,394)


Most Prolific : August (131.5 pages per day)
Least Prolific: February (49.8 pages per day)



Average Pages per Book: 319 
Longest Book: The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia (543 pages)
Shortest Book: And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman (97 pages)



Total Time Listened: 284:58:11
Most Listened: September (39:55:44)
Least Listened (after audio usage was started): May (20:28:00)


       
Average Days per Book: 6
Average Days per Physical Read: 5
Average Days per Audiobook: 7

Ratings


Average Rating: 3.86
Highest Rating Month: April (4.32)
Lowest Rating Month: March (3.42)


(I'll share the full list of 4, 4.5, and 5 star books in a later post.)



Successful Books: 102


Books by the Details


Average Year Published: 2004





Most Read Genre: Contemporary



Highest sources: (1) Borrowed (Library), (2) NetGalley

Diversity




And there you have it! The basic numbers and distribution of everything I read in 2019. I'm sure it will be interesting for a few, boring for some, and just a colorful mess for everyone else.

I'll be doing additional evaluations of my 2019 reading with upcoming posts. Coming soon: my 2019 Reading Challenge Success & Progress, the 2019 Book of the Year Bracket, and my results to Perpetual Page Turner's End of the Year Survey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips