Friday, August 9, 2019

August TBR - NEWTs Readathon

Well...the month is already almost a third of a way over, so I suppose a TBR for the month is in order.

For the month of August, I'll be participating in the NEWTs (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests) Readathon, hosted by BookRoast. It's the second in her series of Magical Readathons for the year. I participated in the OWLs earlier this year, wherein I read books to qualify for this month's reading. The ultimate goal is to identify and read in the prompts in order to attain a wizarding career.

Each career has a specific set of courses that are required along with the levels that are required to be met for each. A is for Acceptable, E is Exceeds Expectations, and O is for Outstanding. These must be achieved in order. Thus to achieve an O, one must first complete the books for levels A and E.

As mentioned, in order to take a NEWTs exam, you must have passed your OWL in that subject. This was how I fared for that examination set:

Magical Readathon – OWLs
Read Course Requirement Title Author
x Ancient Runes Retelling Ever Alice HJ Ramsay
x Arithmancy More than 1 author The Murmur of Bees Sofia Segovia
x Astronomy “Star” in the Title Where the Forest Meets the Stars Glendy Vandereh
x Care of MC Land Animal on Cover The Museum of Extraordinary Things Alice Hoffman
x Charms Adult Work Evidence of the Affair Taylor Jenkins Reid

Defence DA Title Starts with R

x Divination Set in the future The Book of the Unnamed Midwife Meg Elison
x Herbology Plant on Cover Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet Charlie N. Holmberg
x Hx of Magic Pub. 2009 or earlier The Joy Luck Club Amy Tan
x Muggle Studies Contemporary The Upside of Falling Down Rebekah Crane
x Potions Sequel The Marvelous Land of Oz L. Frank Baum

Transfiguration Red Cover

83.3% 10 / 12 = Outstanding (9+)



Based on my OWLs performance, I am eligible to take 10 out of the 12 NEWTs. All safe Defense Against the Dark Arts and Transfiguration. This combination of NEWT possibilities allows me to work towards one of nine different careers.

Possible Professions: NEWTs Needed
Astronomer Arithmancy (O) Astronomy (O) Hx of Magic (A)
Aurologist Astronomy (E) Divination (E)

Broommaker Arithmancy (E) Herbology (E) Charms (A)
Herbologist Herbology (O) Potions (E) Care of MC (A)
Journalist / Writer Hx of Magic (E) Muggle Studies (A) A in 1 add’l subject
Magizoologist Care of MC (O) Charms (E) Herbology (E)
Potioneer Potions (O) Herbology (E) Arithmancy (A) Care of MC (A)
Seer Divination (O)


Wandmaker Herbology (O) Care of MC (E) Charms (A)

My highest priority will be working toward the career of Magizoologist. Thus, I need an O in Care of Magical Creatures, and E in Charms, and an E in Herbology, for a total of seven books. However, as is befitting my Ravenclaw nature, I'll also be working to achieve grades in as many other courses as I can manage. Because I like options. Thus, my TBR reaches beyond the prompt requirements set for the Magizoologist career path.

As such, here is my current TBR for the NEWTs Readathon:

Magical Readathon – NEWTs
Read Course Requirement Title Author

Ancient Runes Recommended by a friend



Book written in past tense



Been on TBR for ages


Arithmancy Ends on an even page # 100 Days of Sunlight Abbie Emmons


A standalone An Ocean of Minutes Thea Kim


Longer than 350 pages Tidelands Philippa Gregory

Astronomy Moon on cover or in title When the Moon Was Ours Anna-Marie McLemore


“Night” in title or series name Night Elie Wiesel


Sci-Fi or Stars on cover The Book of Etta Meg Elison
x Care of MC Book that starts with A The Art of Taxidermy Sharon Kernot


Under 300 pages The Multiplication of Elmer Whit Karsen Kipp


Bird on the cover Postcards for a Songbird Rebekah Crane
x Charms Gorgeous cover The Gillespie County Fair Marc Hess


Under 150 pages Animal Farm George Orwell


Paperback book


Defence DA Black under the dust jacket



First book you remember The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Taylor Jenkins Reid


Written by Eng. Author or set in England


Divination A white book Educated Tara Westover


Short story or collection of short stories



Last book borrowed or bought

x Herbology Audiobook or green cover The Book of Dreams Nina George


350-390 pages The Book Charmer Karen Hawkins


Flower on the cover The Husband’s Secret Liane Moriarty

Hx of Magic Fantasy Rebel of the Sands Alwyn Hamilton


Includes a map Shadow and Bone Leigh Bardugo


Reread a favorite or read a classic


Muggle Studies Cover with actual photo element Believe Me Eddie Izzard


Set in our real world



Written by a person of color


Potions Friend’s favorite book Anne of Green Gables (audio) L.M. Montgomery


Book in Hogwarts house color This Tender Land William Kent Krueger


Starts with a prologue Spellslinger Sebastien de Castell

Transfiguration LGBTQA+ representation



Not a first in a series



Over 500 pages


Restricted Section Replaces any other prompt Spellslinger Sebastien de Castell
8.1%



As you can see, I have already completed three of the prompts, garnering myself As in Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, and Herbology. I am currently working on my A in Potions and my E in Herbology. I expect I'll have those finished by the end of the weekend. 

Why Potions you say? Well...I'm constantly listening to an audiobook. Unfortunately, the books I have set for my Magizoologist prompts are not available through my library or Prime Reads as audio selections, so I went with what was available at the time.

Now...since one read-a-thon is never enough, I'll also be participating in Bout of Books from August 19th to August 25th. 

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly Rubidoux Apple. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, Twitter chats, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 26 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
Bout of Books is one of the first read-a-thons I ever participated in and it's one of my favorites. It should also (hopefully) help me boost my August reading so that I can get through all of these NEWTs I'm attempting to tackle. I'll be setting my individual goals for BoB when it gets a bit closer.

It will be a busy, but fun month. Do you have any read-a-thons or other fun reading events you're participating in that I should know about?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips