Friday, April 5, 2019

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon: PreParty Post

It's time for a little break in the A to Z blog posting. Why? Well...tomorrow is the Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon. It's one of my two favorite readathons and it only happens twice a year.

In my case, it starts tomorrow morning at 7am (CST) and runs through 7am on Sunday. The goal is simply to read as much as you can and have a little fun doing it. Now...before the fun begins in the early morning, let's start off with the Opening Survey.


1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

I am running these shenanigans from the land of the ice and snow. Well...actually, right now it's the land of mud. I'm on our farmstead in northern Minnesota where the temperatures are expected to be in the mid-thirties and there has been a murmuring about the possibility of snow next week. Not cool, spring. Not cool.

From prettier days. We'll see some green here soon, I hope.

2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?


My TBR stack for April was pre-planned, so there won't be any surprises. That's somewhat good, but sometimes it is nice to grab a random book. Right now, I'm actually looking forward to everything I have planned, so let's just hope they live up to expectations!

On the docket...


 The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia
Ever Alice by H.J. Ramsay
Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah

I don't expect I'll get through all three of these, but I'm hoping to at least finish one and complete a decent amount of the second. We'll see how it goes.

I'll also be reading to the kiddos during the day, so there will be some children's books involved. Those will be more by the seat of my pants.


3. Which snack are you most looking forward to?

I have only prepared one snack in advance. It's my traditional readathon no-bake energy bites. Little no bake cookies made from oatmeal, peanut butter, honey, nutella, coconut, almonds, and chocolate chips. They're a must for readathon day.

In prior years (pictured here), I have separated the peanut butter and nutella. This year, they're combined.

4. Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm a stay-at-home mom to two boys (ages 2 and 9 months). We live on a farm in northern Minnesota and raise Belted Galloway beef cattle (Oreo cows) and Berkshire pigs (they're black with white on their snouts, feet & tails).


I love living on the farm and enjoy our animals a lot. (I don't enjoy mud season.) I also love to read and I'm a complete book nerd. I have spreadsheets to track all different parts of my reading (including my progress in this readathon).



5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what is one thing you'll do different today?

Well...crap. Um... I missed out last time, but the time before I think I managed a whopping 5 hours of reading out of the whole day. I do hope to do a bit better this time. So...I guess my one thing is to plan a layout for my reading time ahead of the actual start. Here's what I'm thinking...

Our schedule is such that our weekend days are actually Wednesday and Thursday, so I'll be at home with the boys during the day. That makes it a bit challenging to get any reading in (especially if they refuse to nap, as has been way too frequent lately).

Since they don't usually wake until about 9 or so, I'm going to see if I can get in some reading between 7 & 9. Then I'm crossing my fingers for a good naptime to let me get in a few hours in the afternoon. The evening will just depend on how easy chores are for the Farmer to get done and how early we wrap up dinner/how much he takes over with the boys.

As for the late evening/early morning finish up hours, I'm hoping to grab a few bits of reading there. I won't be up all night since I do have the boys to deal with on Sunday, but I'm aiming for a bit of a later night. We'll see.

As a whole, I'm aiming for a total read time somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 hours. It isn't ideal, or what I'd love to see happen (I'd love more), but it's probably a realistic goal given the structure of our day. And...well...any reading time is good time.


I'll be doing most of my posting during the day over on Twitter (@ErraticElle), but I'll be back here sometime on Sunday to do a wrap-up of the event. If you want to join in on some of the fun, head over to Dewey's or hang out on Twitter with the hashtag #readathon.

Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips