Friday, June 1, 2012

Darian's BOTY: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Darian decided that it was time to update his bracket. He is very excited about taking part in the BOTY challenge with me this year. He's a pretty avid little reader. Today he's reviewing a book that he's told me is probably one of his favorites. I remember it being one of my favorites when I was his age as well. Enjoy.


Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell is about girl named Karana who is abandoned and has to survive alone on the Island of the Blue Dolphins. Karana has to survive the hard ways, like making your own weapons and clothes and relying on what you have hunted.

This book is historical realistic fiction. It's historical fiction because the author actually used the story of Juana Maria, the Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island. He may have used her story, but he did put in some things that we don't know. We don't know if Juana Maria had any human contact like Karana did in Island of the Blue Dolphins. Things like this made it fiction.

I rated this book 5 stars because I thought it was awesome. I liked everything about this book. There is nothing that I didn't like about this book. I liked how there was so much detail that it felt real. At the beginning of the book, when Karana's brother gets lost, it explains why he didn't get on the ship and why they didn't know anything. Other stuff I liked about it was how everything flowed. What I mean is that everything went in perfect order. I know that some books can get you confused and then sometimes it starts getting bad. That didn't happen with this book at all.

I would recommend this book to people who like survival stories and people who like historical fiction.

This is my 10th book of the year and here's what my bracket looks like so far:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips